Access, holdings & availability
- Edison, NJ : Video Sound, c2000.
1 videodisc (142 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Wadkar, Hansa.
Motion picture actors and actresses -- India -- Biography -- Drama.
Actresses -- India -- Biography -- Drama.
Women -- India -- Social conditions -- Drama.
India -- In motion pictures.
- Feature films.
Motion pictures, Indic.
- In Hindi with optional English subtitles.
- System details:
- : DVD.
- A drama based on the autobiography of the Marathi/Hindi actress Hansa Wadkar. Usha is taught music by her grandmother and eventually becomes an actress, a trajectory inflected by the four men she meets at various points in her life: her husband Keshav, narcissistic male co-star Rajan, effete filmmaker Sunil Verma, and the landowner Kale whose second wife she eventually becomes. Many aspects of the story allow the question of women's oppression to be raised,although Usha seems to end up identifying herself with self-sacrifice, defeated by the patriarchal mores that have weighed on her since childhood.
- Smita Patil, Anant Nag, Amrish Puri, Nasseeruddin Shah, Amol Palekar, B. V. Karanth.
- Director, Shyam Benegal ; production, Lalit M. Bijlani, Freni M. Variava ; screenplay, Girish Karnad, Pandi Satya Dev Dubey, Shyam Benegal ; lyrics, Majrooh Sultanpuri, Vasanth Dev ; film editor, Bhanudas ; cinematographer, Govind Nihlani ; music, Vanraj Bhatia ; singers, Preeti Sagar, Bhupendra, Chandru Atma, and others.
- Based on the autobiography "Sangtyke Aika" by Hansa Wadkar.
Originally produced as a motion picture in 1976.
- Benegal, Shyam, 1934- , Director
Bhatia, Vanraj. , Composer
Pātīla, Smitā, d. 1986. , Actor
Nag, Anant, 1948- , Actor
Puri, Amrish. , Actor
Shah, Naseeruddin. , Actor
Palekar, Amol. , Actor
Karanth, B. V. , Actor
Blaze Film Enterprises. , Producer
Video Sound (Firm) , Distributor