Access, holdings & availability
- Other title:
- Woman taxi driver in Sidi Bel-Abbès
Title on container and on cassette label: Female cabby in Sidi Bel-Abbès
Female cabbie in Sidi Bel-Abbes
- Brooklyn, NY : First Run/Icarus Films, c2000.
1 videocassette (52 min.) : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.
Women taxicab drivers -- Algeria -- Sidi Bel-Abbès.
Women -- Employment -- Algeria -- Sidi Bel-Abbès.
Women -- Algeria -- Social conditions.
- Documentary films.
- French or Arabic with English subtitles.
- System details:
- : VHS.
- After the death of her husband, Soumicha needs to support her family and thereby becomes the only woman taxi driver in Sidi Bel-Abbès (Algeria). The film shows her working conditions in a job normally reserved for men, with comments by some of her fares, and also explores the plight of women in Algeria at large as they work for economic/social/cultural change.
- Cinematography, Ahmed Messuad; editing, Karima Saidi.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Class of 1924 Book Fund.
Hadjadj, Belkacem. , Director
Pireaux, Christine. , Producer
Diguer, Rachid. , Producer
Machahou Productions (Firm) , Producer
Films de la passerelle (Firm) , Producer
Radio-Télévision belge de la communauté culturelle française. Unité Documentaire. , Producer
ENTV Algeria. , Producer
First Run/Icarus Films. , Distributor
Class of 1924 Book Fund.
- Web link:
The Class of 1924 Book Fund Home Page