Access, holdings & availability
- Special ed.; Widescreen
- Santa Monica, CA : MGM Home Entertainment, c2001.
1 videodisc (179 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Sholem Aleichem, 1859-1916 -- Film adaptations.
Jews -- Ukraine -- Social life and customs -- Drama.
- Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- In English with subtitles in English, French and Spanish.
- System details:
- : DVD; Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.
- Tevye is a poor Jewish milkman with five unmarried daughters to support in a village in Czarist Russia. With a sharp tongued wife at home and growing anti-Semitism in the village, Tevye talks to God about his troubles. His people's traditions keep him strong when his existence is as precariously balanced as a fiddler on the roof.
- Topol, Norma Crane, Leonard Frey, Molly Picon, Paul Mann.
- Photography, Oswald Morris ; editors, Antony Gibbs, Robert Lawrence ; soloist, Isaac Stern ; music by Jerry Bock ; lyrics by Sheldon Harnick.
- Based on the stage play by Joseph Stein, adapted from the stories of Sholem Aleichem ; music adapted and conducted by John
Originally produced as a motion picture in 1971.
Special features: "Norman Jewison, filmmaker" documentary, audio commentary by Norman Jewison and Topol, never-before-available deleted song "Any day now", "Tevye's dream" in full color, stories of Sholom Aleichem and historical background read by Norman Jewison, and storyboard to film comparison.
- Jewison, Norman, 1926- , Producer, Director
Stein, Joseph. , Screenwriter
Topol, 1935- , Actor
Crane, Norma, 1931-1973. , Actor
Frey, Leonard, 1938-1988 , Actor
Picon, Molly. , Actor
Mann, Paul, 1915-1985. , Actor
Bock, Jerry. , Composer
Sholem Aleichem, 1859-1916. , Author
Stern, Isaac, 1920-2001. ,
Mirisch Company. , Producer
MGM Home Entertainment Inc. , Distributor
- Publisher no.:
1002566 MGM Home Entertainment