Access, holdings & availability
- Special ed. ; Standard version.
- Burbank, CA : Warner Home Video, c2004.
1 videodisc (ca. 112 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in.
Baum, Vicki, 1888-1960 -- Film adaptations.
Hotels -- Germany -- Berlin -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Drama.
Bookkeepers -- Drama.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- English or dubbed French dialogue ; English, French or Spanish subtitles.
- System details:
- : DVD ; Region 1 ; Dolby Digital 2.0 mono.
- Berlin's plushest, most expensive hotel is the setting where in the words of Dr. Otternschlag "People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.". The doctor is usually drunk so he misses the fact that Baron von Geigern is broke and trying to steal eccentric dancer Grusinskaya's pearls, but ends up stealing her heart instead. Powerful German businessman Preysing brow beats his lowly bookkeeper, Kringelein, but in the end it is Kringelein who holds all the cards. Meanwhile, the Baron also steals the heart of Preysing's mistress, Flaemmchen, but in the end, she doesn't end up with either one of them.
- Greta Garbo, John Barrymore, Joan Crawford, Wallace Beery, Lionel Barrymore, Lewis Stone, Jean Hersholt, Robert McWade, Purnell Pratt.
- Cinematographer, William H. Daniels ; editor, Blanche Sewell.
- Aspect ratio 1.33:1.
Originally released as a motion picture in 1932.
Based on the play "Menschen im Hotel" by Vicki Baum.
Special features: "Checking out: Grand Hotel" making-of documentary; Hollywood premiere of 'Grand Hotel' (1932 newsreel); Just a word of warning (1932 theatrical announcement); "Nothing ever happens" (newly discovered 1933 Vitaphone short, a spoof on 'Grand Hotel'); theatrical trailers.
Goulding, Edmund, 1891-1959. , Director
Garbo, Greta, 1905-1990. ,
Barrymore, John, 1882-1942. , Actor
Crawford, Joan, 1908-1977. , Actor
Beery, Wallace, 1885-1949. , Actor
Barrymore, Lionel, 1878-1954. , Actor
Baum, Vicki, 1888-1960. , Author
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. , Producer
Warner Home Video (Firm) , Distributor
- Related Work:
- Baum, Vicki, 1888-1960., Author Menschen im Hotel.
- Publisher no.:
65084 Warner Home Video