This is a dummy column
Access, holdings & availability
- [United States] : BBC Video ; Burbank, CA : Distributed by Warner Home Video, 2005.
1 videodisc (ca. 104 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 -- Film adaptations.
London (England) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Drama.
- Made-for-TV movies.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- System details:
- : DVD; Dolby Digital.
- Local MP and schoolmaster Thomas Gradgrind raises his children, Louisa and Tom, in the utilitarian fashion, stressing reason and fact and dismissing imagination and emotion. Under his influence, Louisa grows cold while Tom turns to a secret life of drinking and gambling. To be nearer her brother, Louisa accepts an offer of marriage from his boss, the self-mad, self-important banker Josiah Bounderby, though she does not love him. But soon finds herself succumbing to the attentions of the lothario James Harthouse. All the while, Mrs. Sparsit, a former aristocrat who now works for Bounderby, obsessively watches as the drama unfolds, longing for Louisa's downfall.
- Alan Bates, Bob Peck, Bill Paterson, Harriet Walter, Richard E. Grant.
- Director of photography, Rex Maidment ; editor, Robin Graham Scott ; music, Stephen Deutsch.
- Aspect ratio 4:3.
Originally released as a television movie in 1994.
Based on the novel by Charles Dickens.
Special features: "The signalman".
- Barnes, Peter, 1931-2004. , , Director
Langridge, Richard. , Producer
Bates, Alan, 1934-2003. ,
Peck, Bob, 1945-1999. , Actor
Paterson, Bill, 1945- , Actor
Walter, Harriet. , Actor
Grant, Richard E., 1957- , Actor
Deutsch, Stephen, 1945- , Composer
Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870. , Author
British Broadcasting Corporation. , Producer
BBC Video (Firm) , Distributor
Warner Home Video (Firm) , Distributor
- Related Work:
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870., Author Hard times.
- Publisher no.:
E2336 BBC Video
Virtual Shelf Browse
Penn Libraries' physical holdings in call-number order