Access, holdings & availability
- 2-disc special ed. ; Widescreen version.
- Burbank, CA : Warner Home Video, 
2 videodiscs (140 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
Kuribayashi, Tadamichi, 1890 or 1-1945 -- Film adaptations.
Iwo Jima, Battle of, Japan, 1945 -- Drama.
Japan. Rikugun -- Military life -- Drama.
Letter writing, Japanese -- Drama.
Iwo Jima (Volcano Islands, Japan) -- Drama.
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- Japanese and English dialogue, English, French or Spanish subtitles.
- System details:
- : DVD; Region 1; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, dual-layer, DVD-9.
- Sixty-one years ago, the United States and Japanese armies met on Iwo Jima. Decades later, hundreds of letters are unearthed from that stark island's soil. The letters give faces and voices to the men who fought there, as well as the extraordinary general who led them. Leading the defense is Lt. General Tadamichi Kuribayashi. With little defense other than sheer will and the volcanic rock of the island itself, Gen. Kuribayashi's unprecedented tactics transform what was predicted to be a quick and bloody defeat into nearly 40 days of heroic and resourceful combat.
- Ken Watanabe, Kazunari Ninomiya, Tsuyoshi Ihara, Ryo Kase, Shido Nakamura, Hiroshi Watanabe, Takumi Bando, Yuki Matsuzaki, Takashi Yamaguchi, Eijiro Ozaki.
- Director of photography, Tom Stern ; editors, Joel Cox, Gary D. Roach ; music, Kyle Eastwood, Michael Stevens ; costume designer, Deborah Hopper ; production designers, Henry Bumstead, James J. Murakami.
- Based on the book "Picture letters from Commander in Chief" by Tadamichi Kuribayashi and book editor Tsuyoko Yoshido.
Originally released as a motion picture in 2006.
Aspect ratio 2.40:1.
Special features: "Red sun, black sand: the making of Letters from Iwo Jima:" led by Clint Eastwood, take an inside look at the creation of the film with many of the key players involved who brought this epic film together; "The faces of war: the cast of Letters from Iwo Jima:" cast members introduce the characters they portray in the film; "Images from the frontlines: the photography of Letters from Iwo Jima" world premiere at Budo-kan in Tokyo; press conference at Grand Hyatt Tokyo.
Eastwood, Clint, 1930- , Director, Producer
Lorenz, Robert. , Producer
Spielberg, Steven, 1946- , Producer
Yamashita, Iris. , Author, Screenwriter
Haggis, Paul. , Author
Watanabe, Ken, 1959- , Actor
Ninomiya, Kazunari. , Actor
Ihara, Tsuyoshi. , Actor
Kase, Ryo. , Actor
Eastwood, Kyle. , Composer
Stevens, Michael. , Composer
Kuribayashi, Tadamichi, 1890 or 1-1945. , Author
Amblin Entertainment (Firm) , Producer
Dreamworks Pictures. , Producer
Malpaso (Company) , Producer
Warner Bros. Pictures (1969- ) , Producer
Warner Home Video (Firm) , Distributor
- Related Work:
- Kuribayashi, Tadamichi, 1890 or 1-1945., Author "Gyokusai Sōshikikan" no etegami. English.
- Publisher no.:
111292 Warner Home Video