Access, holdings & availability
- Other title:
- Adua and her friends [videorecording]
- [United States] : RARO Video, 
1 videodisc (129 min.) : sd., b&w ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet.
- Prostitutes -- Italy -- Rome -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Italy -- Rome -- Drama.
Friendship -- Drama.
- Crime films.
Motion pictures, Italian.
- Italian dialogue; English subtitles.
- System details:
- : DVD ; Dolby Digital mono 2.0.
- A wonderful example of Italian realism, this film tells the story of four prostitutes forced to fend for themselves when a new law closes the bordellos of Rome. They pool their savings to open a trattoria, but find they cannot get a license. A prominent fixer with connections obtains the license for them, on the condition that they conduct their old business upstairs and pay him an exorbitant monthly fee.
- Simone Signoret, Sandra Milo, Emmanuele Riva, Gina Rovere, Marcello Mastroianni.
- Cinematography, Armando Nannuzzi ; editor, Eraldo Da Roma ; music, Piero Piccioni.
- Originally released as a motion picture in 1960.
(1.66:1) aspect ratio.
Special features: Introduction by Italian film historian Maurizio Poro; an episode from the film Amori di Mezzo Secolo, entitled Girandola 1910; director biography and filmography; photo gallery; a fully illustrated booklet including critical analysis of the film; new digital HD transfer from original 35mm negative print; digitally restored and remastered; new and improved English subtitle translation.
- Pietrangeli, Antonio, 1919-1968. , Director
Ergas, Moris. , Producer
Maccari, Ruggero, 1919- , Screenwriter
Signoret, Simone, 1921-1985. , Actor
Milo, Sandra. , Actor
Riva, Emmanuèle. , Actor
Rovere, Gina. , Actor
Mastroianni, Marcello, 1924-1996. , Actor
Nannuzzi, Armando, 1925- , Editor
Da Roma, Eraldo. , Editor
Piccioni, Piero. , Composer
Rarovideo (Firm) , Producer, Director
- Publisher no.:
RVDUSA 011 RARO Video