Access, holdings & availability
- Other title:
- Unauthorized tour [videorecording]
- Collectors' edition
- [San Francisco, CA] : El Rio Productions ; [New York] : New Day Films, 2007.
1 videodisc (102 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
Barbie (Fictitious character)
Barbie dolls -- Social aspects -- United States.
Play -- Social aspects -- United States.
- Documentary films.
- System details:
- : DVD; Dolby Digital stereo.
- The documentary explores the history of the Barbie doll, through older and contemporary clips. Includes interviews with Barbie fans, foes, and fetishists ; these are people of all ages and sexes who either covet or revile Barbie. Visits conventions and auctions, where early dolls and memorabilia are bought and sold. Also tells the story of Barbie's creator and Mattel co-founder: Ruth Handler, whose commentary runs throughout the film. Handler adapted a 1950s German doll for adults called Lilli, to create Barbie, named after her daughter.
- Narrated by Susan Stern.
- Camera, Fawn Yacker ... [et al.] ; editor, Elizabeth Finlayson ; music, Ed Bogas.
- Originally produced as a motion picture in 1998.
Special features include: optional audio director's commentary; a short film "Filmmakers"; 9 short Barbie films: Nora & Claire - still best friends, Director's interview, Black Barbie, Weird Barbies I & II, Fandom, The Handlers at home, Barbie on the street, Collectors' Barbies.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
Stern, Susan. , Screenwriter, Director, Producer, Narrator
Bogas, Ed. , Composer
New Day Films. , Producer
El Rio Productions. , Distributor
Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund.
- Nora & Claire: still best friends [videorecording]
Director's interview [videorecording]
Black Barbie [videorecording]
Weird Barbies I [videorecording]
Weird Barbies II [videorecording]
Handlers at home [videorecording]
Barbie on the street [videorecording]
Collectors' Barbies [videorecording]
- Publisher no.:
- Web link:
The Alumni and Friends Memorial Book Fund Home Page